Monday, January 30, 2012

Lindt Amarena Cherry Creme

Mostly because of their variety and frequent limited edition releases, I can't resist sampling new products by Hershey, Mars, and other such mainstream companies whose offerings I do not hold to a very high standard. And to be honest, for every such item that I've thrown out after the first bite, I've sung the praises of an unexpected triumph. Still, my love affair with confectionery centers on a never ending quest for truly good quality chocolate. I am a frugal person in all other aspects, but when it comes to gourmet potential I will find the money to try a what could be a revelation. Right between convenience store fare and boutique chic bonbons lies the realm of Lindt, Godiva, Harry and David and the like. These goodies are often a bit overpriced and overhyped, but my opinion of whether they measure up to their reputation always comes down to a chocolate by chocolate judgment call. I will probably never buy Godiva assortments because their contents do not justify their price - but I do shell out $4 on a regular basis for a teeny-tiny box of their Milk Chocolate Covered Dried Strawberries because they are the 8th wonder of the world (at least my world). Some of these brands make more worthwhile treats than others, and in my opinion Lindt is one of them. Today's review looks at a rare bar from Lindt. When I first spotted the Amarena Cherry Creme bar, I didn't know what to expect - just that I was extremely interested. For one thing, the presentation was beautiful  as usual, from the box to the foil to the chocolate itself.
I must give credit where credit is due - fantastic, silky smooth milk chocolate with a perfectly balanced sweetness and luxurious creamy texture. This is no shock, as Lindt has always provided devotees with high grade chocolate. Unfortunately the filling is, for lack of a better word, odd. Its taste is vaguely reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. As to the consistency, to my mind the closest thing to it I've ever encountered is stale frosting or perhaps toothpaste.
To make matters worse, this pasty stuff is studded with what appears to be bits of freeze dried cherry, each of which is only a more intense bite of the aforementioned off putting flavor. i had some hope that these morsels of berry would elevate the product if not save it, but alas, they only reiterated its shortcomings. As the box suggested, I tried to 'enjoy chilled' and did not find it much improved. If anything, the cream was only more crumbly and stale tasting cold. I'm actually a great lover of cherry and strawberry flavor paired with chocolate, but I was definitely disappointed here, especially given that I have great respect for Lindt. To me, this is a tried and true brand whose products rarely fall short of delectable, and which actually deserves its high regard within the chocolate market. I'm glad I got this bar on sale, as I consent to drop ridiculous money at the Lindt shop only because I expect the quality to match. Even if this bar was offered to me for free, I would not eat it again. But if you love Lindt or berry flavor or both, I'm sure you'll want to judge for yourself - just don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment